Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Rodeo Hero

For the past week I had been reading a great book called "Horses That Buck" by Margot Kahn. Its about the 3 time world champion saddle bronc rider, Bill Smith. Born in tiny Bear Creek, Montana then moved to Cody, Wyoming. He has said himself that he didn't have any natural talent and had to work his butt off to win. He had a distinct style of riding, his legs fully extended and his rear end never touching the seat of the saddle. It only came out later that he didn't know how to adjust his stirrups on his new saddle, so he just have to learn to ride that way. He drove for hundreds of thousands of miles, went broke, ruined a married, found love again, and starved for 20 years all in pursuit of "The Gold Buckle."

Grant had mentioned to me that our friend was related to Bill Smith but I really didn't know who he was. While Grant was working on day, our friend invited to her great-grandmother's 95th birthday, I met the whole family. There was a mischievous 5 year old telling his uncle to kiss the girl he had never seen before (me). The uncle came and told me I was due for a kiss, but since he saw the ring on my finger, he better not. I just laughed it off and went back to enjoying the party. A couple of days later Grant mentioned something about this Bill Smith guy again, suddenly I realized the man who owed me a kiss was The Bill Smith!


This past weekend we got an invite to Thermopolis to the Wyo Quarter Horse Ranch, owned by Bill and Carole Smith. Grant was so excited, he was finally going to get the chance to meet a 3 time world champion. Upon arriving at the ranch, we walked into the barn and there he sat, atop a red roan horse, telling cowboys how to teach their 2 year old horses how to be ridden. He rode over to greet his nieces and meet the guests. Upon introductions, he looked at me which a smirk on his face and said "I remember you, I still owe you a kiss, it won't be pretty and you won't enjoy it, but I owe you one, none the less." Grant laughed out loud and gave his permission...but I'm still waiting on that kiss!


We had an amazing weekend, learning about breaking young horses to be rode, hearing old stories about Bill's best friend, Jim. We watched old rodeo videos from the 70's and saw "the best bronc ride you'll ever see in your life" according to Bill. It was such an amazing feeling to just be in the presence of a man that has lived such an amazing life. This will not be our last trip down to his ranch!


Grant and Bill at chore time

No comments:

Post a Comment