Tuesday, April 7, 2009

"Make New Friends, But Keep The Old"

Best friend...what does that really mean? I always thought it was someone who would do anything for you and you would do anything for them, you loved being around eachother, could tell secrets...and most of all no matter how far apart you are, you still remain friends. Since moving to Wyoming, my best friend, Kristen, and I are still best friends and talk all the time.

My senior year of high school I had a wonderful best friend and we always said we would remain friends forever. The following fall she left for college and that was about the last time anyone from home ever heard from her. She always would say that she wanted to get out of our small town and never look back, I always supported her because I wanted to do the same thing. I went to college and lived at home for a year and she moved only an hour away and went to college. She was the only one in our group of friends who left (right after high school). It seemed once she left, she was WAY too cool for any of her Mattawan friends. As the months went on the calls and texts became less and less. Even when she was home for the summer, we only hung out a handful of times. Since I've moved to Wyoming I've only talked to her maybe 5 times! I just figured she was busy with school and life. When all the wedding talk came about and Grant proposed, I called her in hopes of excitement. Nothing. She didn't seem happy at all, not that she was mad or upset, she just didn't seem to care. I called her later that month and asked if she'd be out of school in time to be able to make it down to the wedding, "I'll be out of school, but its a long drive and I don't think I want to go that far!" Keep in mind that 4 of my other friends and most of my family is making the drive to Tennessee. I was heartbroke, how could my best friend in high school say that she didn't want to drive 9 hours to my wedding, the most important day of my life?! I'm not the only one who is getting this treatment, all of our other friends say the same things, "she seems stuck up, she doesn't return my calls, she has her new college friends now"
Well you moved and hour away, and I moved 1500 miles away...and yet I still manage to stay in touch with my high school friends...its not that hard.

I'm truely blessed that I have kept my true friends and glad I'm marrying my true best friend.



"Truly great friends are hard to find, difficult to leave, and impossible to forget."

1 comment: